Get involved with the Columbia Tenants and Residents Association Gardening Group
Columbia TRA has been getting green fingered over the last few years.
We are working to provide ways for more residents to grow on our estates; to improve environmental awareness and sustainability; and to get outdoors and make new friends in the local community.
Lockdown has made getting outside, growing things and getting in touch with nature more precious than ever, especially since so many of us do not have a garden of our own. We want to make Columbia Road bloom seven days a week, not just on Sundays.
If you want to be part of this, then ask for an invite to the online meeting below, and if you can’t make the meeting email anyway and one of the CTRA Gardening Group will chat and introduce you to what is going on.
What Have We Been Doing? In 2020 we:
- Established a community plant nursery, began raising seedlings and installed hot composters
- Continued to improve planting in public borders on Chambord Street and in front of Sivill House
- Added a circular bed with flowers and vegetables behind James Hammett House
- Secured and planted two new shared herb beds and a bird bath on the Dorset Estate
- Cleared and replanted neglected flower beds in front of Cuff Point
In 2021 we want to widen our activities. This will include:
- Planting, weeding and watering flower and vegetable beds
- Planting and managing trees (including fruit trees for an urban orchard)
- Woodwork, DIY and design
- Raising seedlings at home
- Running virtual and live events for residents
- Making food and craft products from things we grow
Join our online meeting: Bring a cup of tea and join us online to meet some of our active members, hear what we have planned for the start of 2021 and let us know what you’d like to see growing in your neighbourhood! Get in touch here for an invite link – email@example.com
Community gardening leaflet: http://www.columbiatra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Jan-2021-housedrop-A5.pdf